Posted to alt.home.repair

Default anyonme sell brand new main fuse panels\?

=
The worst thing about fuses was that half the boxes in the world have
oversized fuses. Not too long ago I did a little plumbing repair for
a local store. I went in the basement and noticed that the fuse box
had all green fuses. Yeah, 30amp fuses feeding all #14 wires. I
mentioned this to the owner, and he said if they use smaller fuses
they blow all the time. I explained to him the danger of fire, damage
to the wiring, and other problems, I made sure he was aware of the
dangers. When I finished telling him, he said he was not worried about
it, because they have used 30A fuses in there for the last 50 years.
So much for safety. Thats the biggest downfall of fuses. The
fusestats were an improvement but they cost more and tended to get
stuck at times. When the cheaper brands of breakers sell for less
than $5 each, why even bother with fuses.

Yeah EVERY friend of mine with fuses has those nice green ones on 14
gauge wire.

my point is that fuses are functionally obsolete and panels should be
replaced whenever possible