Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Authentic Reproduction 18th Century Wood Lathe

"John" wrote in message
Other than at Williamsburg and Sturbridge, are there any genuine 18th
century lathes in existence elsewhere in North America, preferably ones
that have detailed online photos available for viewing, that one can look
at. I kind of like the idea of peregrinating about the eastern half of
this continent but I just don't have the time to visit more than one or
two distant museums this coming year so I'd like to narrow my search to
the most promising ones. My search is specific to the 18th Century. My
Google and other Internet scrounging has unearthed a bunch of modern day
adaptations but the museum folk I'm working with are very much concerned
about creating as authentic a reproduction as humanly possible, and for
that we need some genuine real articles to emulate. These historians love
their documentation at least as much as their museum pieces, I'm afraid.
;-) We're not particularly interested in the "great wheel" lathes but
more humble town and village types that were presumably as common as dirt
at one time but which seem not to have survived in the larger, well known
museums.

Depending on what you're actually after- the technology is going to be the
same at http://www.bodgers.org.uk/ and links.

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/ is sort of fun.

Check out the minimalist kit at http://www.living-wood.co.uk/ , though a
shop would certainly have something powered by someone besides the turner
himself. Apprentices were cheap....