Posted to uk.d-i-y
TC TC is offline

Default RCD tripping - why?!

wrote:

TC wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
"TC" writes:

My house was rewired 3 or 4 years ago and I have never had a problem
with it but now the RCD is switching the electricity off as soon as I
reset it. I have found that the problem circuit is the one for the
kitchen sockets and have disconnected everything and switched off the
boiler that is also on the circuit but this does not help. Is there
anything obvious I can check or do I need to get an electrician in?

Make sure all the plugs are pulled out too -- just switching off
isn't necessarily enough to stop a faulty appliance tripping an
RCD.

Thanks for all the advice. I (think I) have disconnected everything
and have checked all the sockets for loose wires but the circuit still
causes the RCD to trip. I think I'm going to get a pro in and hope it
doesn't need rewiring!

next step is to test the ring circuit the sockets are on with a
multimeter to see if insulation is bad. Sounds like a wiring problem on
that ring. Find the problem and at worst you just need to replace one
bit of cable. At best just poke a wire back where its meant to go.

NT

The electrician that came today decided that its probably due to
dampness in the roofspace area where the cable must goes - into a
junction box he thinks. This would be a real pain to redo and so for
the time being he's taken the circuit off the RCD for me to put back
later when things might be dryer. Not ideal but at least I have hot
water now!
TC