Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Getting a new boiler fitted (quickly)?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I've seen elsewhere in the group that it's a few hours' work. I respect
your opinion, but I'm also quite surprised by it. And in my 10th year
on uk.d-i-y that's rather unusual.

Then, you may have noticed that I am not one of those who say
that boilers can be changed in a few hours.

It's something that annoys me greatly when a person obviously not familiar
with or capable of doing a particular job knows exactly how long it should
take others they just happen to be paying to do it.
I have a fairly wide range of DIY skills and can never estimate exactly
how long a job will take me in my own place - let alone a strange one.
If it were a straightforward boiler swop it might be easier for a pro to
give a guide, but this job isn't.

One can't help noticing that ex gas board fitters are better than the
newer crop of CORGIs.
I've found a couple of good ones by getting the list off the Corgi
website and ringing them all. The last couple I've used have said they
didn't normally do "private work" and were surprised I'd found their
details. These are the sort of blokes who prefer regular work from
builders, don't want to advertise, and probably don't like the public
very much. Both were 50 ish and their pipework was pure artistry.