Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default water heater gelatin

"Resident" wrote in message
First time poster here. I'm fairly adept at doing my own
home repairs but this one has me stumped. I searched the
google archives and found nothing on this one.

My mother found some clear gelatin on the inside of her
electric water heater when she pulled the elements to clean
the scale from them. I've never seen anything like this and
can't find the magic combination of keywords for google to
help.

The specifics a
Very hard well water.
125 degree temp setting.
No hydrogen sulphide smell.
The gelatin is colorless and will easily rinse off with cold water.
The heater is about 2 years old.
Piping from the well to the heater is PVC.

Does anybody know what this stuff is? Is it unhealthy?
What do we need to do to prevent this stuff from forming?
I'm assuming that a sufficient build up will cause the elements to
burn out.

Thanks in advance.
Oscar

I have seen it too.