Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Default A new low in cheap tools?

(DoN. Nichols) writes:

There was no need to quote the strings then.

Rather, there was less focus on such things: the Internet was about
cooperation and common good, and nobody did anything wrong on purpose.

If rn actually shoves this stuff to the shell without proper quoting,
then rn is buggy. I'm almost tempted to put a ";halt" into my "From:"
field just for kicks... ;-)

How many systems will you break with that?

Hardly any. Yours, if you run rn with privileges, and attempt to save
an article of mine. Maybe ";rm -rf ~;" would be a better string? ;-)

SCRIPT Language="Javascript"window.close()/SCRIPT

A nice way to make sure that the article is only read by those
with text-only newsreaders -- or at least those others which have had
javascript turned off. :-)

It ensures the article won't be read with broken readers. This trick
depends on the reading program interpreting HTML in a body of text
that isn't specified to be an HTML document. Thus, it won't do
anything at all to software that works properly.

P.S. I suspect that everybody else is bored to death with this, so
perhaps we should drop it.

Agreed.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901