Posted to alt.home.repair

Default BUILDING A DECK

wrote in message
ups.com...
If I use U-connectors to fasten 4" x 4" posts to pier blocks, is there
a preferred time of year to build a deck this way, (i.e., will the
posts shrink when cold weather comes and "lift" the bottom of the posts
off the pier blocks)?

The preferred time is when the wather is comfortable. If it is below 50 or
above 85, I try to avoid manual labor outside.

Bonus question: The paint guy at my local HD sez to let my treated
lumber deck dry for six months, use an oil based primer on the lumber,
then paint it with exterior acrylic latex just as I would cedar siding.
I do want a white deck (with "natural" finish Wolmanized decking
boards). Does this painting scheme sound kosher? (I have no experience
with painting treated lumber).

http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/maintenance.shtml
PAINT. Do not apply paint until the wood is dry, both on the surface and
internally. Otherwise, as the wood dries out, escaping moisture will cause
blisters and poor adhesion in the paint. We recommend a six month waiting
period before applying paint (see more below). Once the wood is dry, the
procedure for painting treated wood is no different from that for painting
untreated wood. (We recommend against using paint on deck flooring because
frequently used pathways, such as from the steps to the door, will become
worn.)