Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Alum. wiring/ GFI's

Looking at a 1957 rancher. Was aluminum wiring common in the 50's.? I
will check it out further myself.

And...Most of the outlets are 2 prong. If I put a GFI at the head of
the curcuit will that protect the downstream outlets so I can replace
with 3 prong?

Aluminum wiring was used in that time frame.

Maybe for the service drop (and 30 amp plus circuits) BUT Al wiring wasn't
used for the individual circuits inside home until the price of Cu went out
of sight in the late 70s.

That was also where the problems came up.

There were all kinds of overheating problems that were essenetially "loose
connectin" type stuff. A drop of just 1 volt with a 10 amp load will
generate enough heat to, in time, make a junction box quite HOT.