Posted to alt.home.repair
jennyzhu99 jennyzhu99 is offline

Default Question about a GE 60 gallon gas hot water tank

We had a GE 60gallon (gas) hot water tank installed in our house two years
ago. It runs very well. A week ago, our family came to China for a
two-monh vacaion and will stay until the 5th of March. We shut off he
water supply before leaving the house, but forgot to shut off the gas. Now
I am worried because no more water will be supplied into the hot water
tank,and remaining water will be heated until dry. Is this an dangerous
situation? I am wondering if the hot water tank or the furnace has any
protection feature to shut off itself. Otherwise I 'll have to cancel my
vacation and go back to take care of that. Can anybody help to explain?
Thanks a lot.