Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Alum. wiring/ GFI's

MLM wrote:
Thanks "Charles" & "RBM". I am aware the outlets won't be grounded.
Just don't want to use the 3 prong cheaters.

Will check the alum wiring further, It's a nice, litlle time capsule of
a house. All electric with 200amp breaker box so that much ahead.
Liza

Liza-

I'm surprised that a 1957 home would have aluminum branch
circuits....my experience (in SoCal) is that aluminum didn't start to
be used until he late 60's / early 70's

My parents home (1959, Orange County CA) has all copper in the branch
cirucits.
My house 1930 same.even the new work done in the 70's

here's a very short article on the issue
http://www.cornerstone-inspection.co...um_wiring.html

IMHO unless you really love this place & are getting a bargain....I'd
think twice about getting into a home with Al wiring unless you're
planning on having the Al/Cu pigtail thing done.

cheers
Bob