Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Leaking Water Heater

wrote:
Hello,

My water heater rusted and leaked and spewed water all over my nice
floor. It has a "pan" underneath it, but this was not able to contain
all the water that spewed out. I have a new water heater now, with a
new pan underneath, but I'm trying to avoid this from happening again.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of a "sup-pump" that I can use to
take the water out of the house when the new water heater leaks? I'm
told that there are moisture alarms, but are they any good? This still
will not take the water away if the water heater leaks. I'm open to
the "BEST" solution...something that will avoid this situation in the
future.

Thanks

The pan for my water heater has a 2" pipe that runs through the wall ,
so if the pan starts to fill with water it will drain outside.

A sump pump would work , there are some with a water sensor that are
made for that purpose , but you may get a LOT of water pouring out if
the tank fails.