Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default DVD Drives

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
et...
Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:37:00 -0800, Myauk Has Frothed:

Are the DVD Drives used in DVD Recorders, the same as those in
personnel computers?

Usually.

Not the ones I've seen. They like 'em proprietary.

Mark Z.

Many of the ones that I've worked on, particularly the Chinese no-brand
supermarket specials, appear to have in them an absolutely bog-standard IDE
interface DVD drive, even down to the standard bus cable and power
connector, and standard side screw placements ... I wouldn't imagine that
the control software is anything to do with the drive itself, but will
certainly be proprietry. At the end of the day, all that is needed to run a
standard drive, is a front end that can handle the IDE protocols to get data
from the drive, and send it back. What is done with the data by the software
once it has got it, and what is done by the software before sending to the
drive, is neither here nor there, as far as the drive, as a piece of
hardware, is concerned ??

Arfa