Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

.. wrote:

might as well use a wireless router and take time to RTFM which will
remove 99% of connection and security issues. I have three or four

Most connection issues IME come down to lack of range through different
building materials and incompatibility of different vendors kit. Alas
neither of these can always be fixed by reading the fine manual on the
occations one is provided.

PCs lying about the place and whereas they had to be in a room with
a cat5 outlet or one with a temporary cable running into it, now I just
add an 」8 wireless NIC and I'm on. sometimes I have to right click and
repair the wireless connection, big deal, 1 min later I'm back online.

all this tosh about network speed is willy waving, really. who /really/
wants to push HDTV over wi-fi when there's a far simpler method of
watching movies ? whoo, yeah, I can send a 3gb file over my network
in x minutes ... most people would use a DVD and take much less time.

Don't agree - I sometimes do want to shift large files about the network
- for example when video editing, performing backups, moving disk images
and ISOs (which I use via virtual CD/DVD drives etc). I may at times
want to rip a bunch of DVDs to one machine using available DVD drives
dotted about the network - even fully working WiFi slows down any of
these activities noticeably.

excuse me, I'm just about to take my wi-fi laptop into the cat5 free kitchen
to read a recipe for slow cooked shin beef in ale with thyme dumplings.

Nothing wrong with WiFi - it has many uses. However for many of us it
does not come anywhere close to being a replacement for cat5 yet alas.

--
Cheers,

John.