Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Fixing broken rad bleeder

Tim.. wrote:

Had to drain down CH system today to fit a new 3port valve, bloody
annoying!
Anyhow I have a slim-line single convector rad in the hallway where
the Square of the bleeder core is broken off, and the radiator
construction is such that there is no room between the bleed valve
itself and the body of the rad to get a socket on it to unscrew the
whole unit.
Any tips, or will I have to replace the whole rad?!

On top of this, the whole thing has afew coats of paint on it!

TIA

Tim..

I don't quite understand what you mean. presumably the manufacturer must
have been able to get a socket on the bleed unit when screwing it in?

Any chance of uploading a photo somewhere, and posting the URL here, so that
we can see what you mean?

The broken bleed screw pin is probably made of brass, so won't be too hard
to drill. You may be able to drill a small hole through the middle, and use
a small stud extractor to wind it out. I'm sure that you can buy replacement
pins - or, at least, replacement bleed assemblies, and use the pin out of
one.
--
Cheers,
Roger