Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Alum. wiring/ GFI's

Aluminum wiring for lighting and outlets in gauges 12 for 15 amp and 10 for
20 amp was used off and on, I believe until the seventies. Its still very
popular in larger sizes
You can install GFCI protection at the head of a non grounded outlet circuit
to protect outlets on its load side, then replace the load side outlets with
grounding outlets(three prong) and mark them " GFCI protected, no grounding
conductor) labels are usually included with the GFCI device. This will
protect people, but not devices that require grounding

"Liza Rhoades" wrote in message
Looking at a 1957 rancher. Was aluminum wiring common in the 50's.? I
will check it out further myself.

And...Most of the outlets are 2 prong. If I put a GFI at the head of
the curcuit will that protect the downstream outlets so I can replace
with 3 prong?

Thanks for any input. Will return later to check any replies.