Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G. Bob G. is offline

Default value of solar water preheater?

I suspect that the minimum service call charge of an average plumber (not
counting any charge for actual work) would not be paid back by the pre-heater
in 50 years or longer. These systems were near-worthless gimmicks when they
were new and working properly. Good luck.

The above statement (converning the system (not the cost of a
plumber) is completely false...

In my previous home I had a solar hot water "set-up" preheated my
ground water ...saved at least 30 bucks a month ...completely
eliminated the cost of operating my swimmimg pool and Hot tub..which I
ran 24/7 (pool summer only) ... Installation was completey free
after various grants, tax breaks etc.. No lose situation...

Now repairs, etc could have been a horse of another color I will
admit.. just never needed any in the 10 years or so I had that house..

Bob G.