Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default OT Electrical Conundrum

(Doug Miller) writes:
In article , Brian Elfert wrote:

Current code requires pigtails if the circuit continues downstream. I'm
sure things like this is the reason they don't allow receptacles to be
used to continue circuits except GCFI receptacles.

I don't think so. Citation, please?

I've just read Article 406, which "covers the rating, type and installation of
receptacles, cord connectors, and attachment plugs (cord caps)" [2005 NEC,
Art. 406.1] from beginning to end, and I find no such requirement there.

406 also incorporates Article 210 Part III by reference; I don't find it there
either.

I'm not going to say it isn't there... but I will say that I've never seen it,
and when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. So: if you say the Code
requires this, please cite the article of the Code where the requirement can
be found.

1999 code:

Section 300-13 (b):

In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor
shall not depend on device connections such as ..., receptacles, etc.,
where removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

====

Looks like it only applies to three+ wire circuits with a shared grounded
conductor, not the more typical 12-2NM w/g single branch circuit.

scott