Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden raden is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:32:53 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

I have wired up the entire house for both too, but it is only useful
for those things which permanently reside at fixed places. CAT5 is
obviously faster than wireless, but that is only of use when large
files need to be moved between system in a hurry.

I rewired the whole house for everything, so it wasn't much bother.
Power, telephone (with PBX), burglar alarm, smoke alarms, etc. Plus
network of course. As for the 'fixed places' thing, I just have a LOT of
network sockets (about 30) so there is always one nearby. The house
isn't very suited to wifi, and so far visitors have just plugged into
the nearest socket. I guess an access point will appear some time.

Just before I re-carpeted the house, I managed to lay a whole reel of
CAT5 (1000 feet) under the floorboards, so there are multiple cables
from more or less everywhere to everywhere else - £10 well spent, I
think

--
geoff