Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden raden is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Just a general enquiry really. Noticed on posts for data/sky/tv cabling
that people were still advocating installation of network and phone
cabling. This is obviously at odds to the current hype wireless
networking/broadband etc. I have already installed cat 5 and phone lines
to most rooms, but am beginning to think that technology has overtaken
this.

Apart from the security issues with wireless broadband, can anyone
support the case for putting in a wired home network and phone system?

Well, I'd be delighted to hear of any radio link that works better than
cable. It might under certain circumstances work nearly as well, but under
many more not.

Wireless links are ideal when you're on the move or cabling is impossible.
Other than that best avoided.

My son, in his flat in Frankfurt has a choice of 5 totally unprotected
wireless networks to choose from

--
geoff