Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:18:44 UTC, "Osprey"
wrote:

I did a very large project for a major Telcoms provider, and the
problems we had country wide with the unlicensed spectrum that is
allocated (2.4GHz) was very significant.
When we had performance issues - a sniffer would show that packet
retransmission was far higher than people expected - due to blocking of
channels by all sorts of devices.
Bluetooth phones, PDA's, motion detectors, microwaves, Wireless Lans
etc.
This brought the expected data throughput down dramatically form the
theoretical figures expected.

Good point. I shall remember that.

In my own house I have multiple CAT5e & CT100 points to every room,

Ah, yes...I did the CT100 too...!

when my son had a PC for XMAS ... took seconds to patch him in to my
ethernet router.
I can also unplug him just as easily :-)

Yes...same here. Also good for unplugging the CT100 from his
room...haven't yet worked out how to 'remote disable' a GameBoy being
played under the bedclothes...!

http://www.diybanter.com