Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

.. wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
. wrote:
Styx wrote:
. wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its dirt cheap because everybody has gone wireless and cant sell their
100BaseT kit for love or money on ebay.
strokes chin

I wonder why everyone's selling.

To upgrade to gigabit ethernet, perhaps?
for the diehard cable users/gamers no doubt, but I'll bet a lot of the
kit is going because people are /upgrading/ to wi-fi specifically
because of the benefits it offers over cable in houses with multiple
PCs, laptops and pocket PCs. even digital cameras have wi-fi
these days but it still remains horses for courses.

But if you actually cabled the house when you built it..

new build? I'd put fiber in, for dedicated use, and wi-fi for everything else.

fiber termination bits are alot more expensive than a secondhand 100Mbps
switch that ios being tossed in a skip..and 100Mbps cards likewise.

however, in terms of reference relevant to 90% of the population, wi-fi is
preferable to cabling an existing dwelling. most ofthe problems with wi-fi
are due to the loose nut in front of the monitor ;-)

Thats because they aren't D-I-Yers.

horses for courses.