Posted to alt.home.repair
Sigmund Freud Sigmund Freud is offline

Default Radiator drip is driving me insane! PLEASE HELP!!!

wrote:

On 3 Jan 2007 04:33:57 -0800,
wrote:

So, I live in an 80 year old house, with a gravity based hot water
radiant heat.

In my bedroom, there is a radiator, and every night, around 4-5am, when
it starts warming up a drip... drip... drip... sound starts. And I
cannot sleep through it. Earplugs used to work, but not anymore. It's
like a drill going into my head.

So what can I do? What's Causing it?

If i kick the radiator (which I know is probably not hte greatest
idea), it stops for about 30 seconds, then starts up again. Just long
enough for me to get my hopes up. When it started this morning, the
radiator wasn't even warm yet, so I don't think it's floorboards
expanding... I could be wrong though.

Here's the setup of the system, and what I've tried so far:
3 floors, 15 radiators (13 working, 1 cold, 1 shut off), 5 per floor.
Gas furnace, expansion tank next to the furnace in the basement (is
that weird?)

The system had been filled to 20 PSI, so I just upped it to 25 PSI,
bled all the radiators, and refilled back to 25 PSI again. No luck,
still getting that damned sound.

I've tried spraying the intakes to the radiator with WD-40, I've tried
pushing pillows under the radiator to dampen the noise (it didn't...
just changed the tonal qualities a little), I've tried cursing at it
and praying. Nothing has worked.

Please.... Please... PLEASE Help!!!

Also, if anyone has any clue why one radiator would be cold, yet still
spits cold water when bled, I would welcome some help with that too...

Wait a few more weeks until you go completely insane.
Then post another message.

It's always fun to read posts from the insane !!!!!

Like yours.