Erik

Default Quick Couplers (Pneumatic)

In article ,
Barry S. wrote:

I was in Harbor Freight today and they were having some sort of huge
sale as it the line was so long I refused to stand in it. But they
had a couple of displays of quick couplers for air tools. I grabbed
a male and female and tried to stick them together. Wouldn't go.
Noticed they had a couple of different sized on the male side, but the
female side of the connection appeared to be the same size.

How does this work? I thought there was only one size for quick
connects. Are their multiple sizes and are some compatible with each
other?

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with
'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4

Speaking of cheap couplers... when I was a kid, I 'busted tires' at the
local Sears auto center.

They had 4 tire racks, with 2 huge hose reel's over them on the
ceiling... maybe 20' off the floor.

Those couplers were always a mess, racks were lowered on them, they were
driven over, used to fill tires (without a chuck) and on and on.

One day, they put on new cheap female couplers, from where I don't know.
After a week or so they were worse than the old ones, all bent up and
leaking. Then someone popped an impact off one, and the female coupler
didn't close. Of course there was 4 customer's cars, and 4 or 5 people
within range of that flailing (175 psi iirc) line, yours truly included.
I was lucky, and didn't get hit, but 2 others ended up with some nasty
welts, it could have been much worse. All 4 cars took a good beating,
lots of broken glass and body dings, before one 'hit' knocked the
coupler closed. None of the customers were amused.

To this day,I only buy good couplers, and I don't un-couple air lines
unless I have a firm grip on the female end.

Erik