Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] deans@wdeans.com is offline

Default Can a floor be stained via tinting polyurethane with a wood stain?

BZ wrote:
It would seem to me that adding color to the top coat would mean that as
the polyurethane is worn away, the color will wear away with it. Then
when you reapply polyurethane at some point down the road, you will
never get the colors to match, and the high-traffic area will always
stand out.

Greetings,

If you add stain to the polyurethane it should be done in the first
coat only (as I understand it). So long as you do not wait until you
get down to the first coat of polyurethane before recoating it should
never be a problem. If you were concerned you could put on three coats
of polyurethane instead of two.

Hope this helps,
William