Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

In article , duckecho@gmail-dot-com wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:17:28 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article om,

wrote:

Or is there
really no problem with what Leviton calls 'back' connections?

Yes, there really is a problem -- they're not nearly as secure as originally
believed. In fact, they're no longer listed for use with 14ga wire
specifically because of that. They don't always grab 12ga as tightly as they
should. Better to avoid them altogether, and just use the screws.

It's probably a good idea to differentiate between "backstab" and
"backclamp" connections and receptacles. I think we're all in
agreement that the "backstab" (stick the wire in the hole and walk
away) method has proven to be horrid. While doing my remodel, I
believe I've successfully replaced every single one that was
originally installed in my house (and contractor grade, too--ugh).

Cooper (and probably Leviton, too) currently makes a model of
receptacle that is "backclamp" which means there is a movable bar
under the screws with access holes from the back. You can either put a
loop under the screw, as is being discussed, or you can stick the wire
in the hole behind the bar and tighten the screw which clamps the wire
under the bar. Electrically AND mechanically, it's virtually identical
to the loop-under-the-screw method.

Good point -- I was thinking, obviously, only of the backstab connections. The
backclamp type are indeed quite solid, and I don't hesitate to use them.

--
Regards,