Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

.. wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its dirt cheap because everybody has gone wireless and cant sell their
100BaseT kit for love or money on ebay.

strokes chin

I wonder why everyone's selling.

Simply fashion.

You are talking to a man with a 10 year old pc driving a 7 and a 20
year old printer via cabling that was young last century, with a second
hand ADSL router, in a 19" rack I got free as scrap..My stuff works, and
goes on working.

My sister in law spent a fortune on a laptop, and a wirless router, got
someone in to make it all work, and it seldom does.

HE says its to do with the mobile phone tower at the bottom of the
garden I think hes a ******. However its hard to tell because every time
we phone them up they can't find the radio phone and so never answer. My
phones can't be carried off in my wife's hand, because they are plugged
into the wall. This is fortunate because she has wandered off with 17
cigarette lighters, and I can't find a single one. The ones that the new
puppy hasn't chewed up that is. Of course it would take him longer -
maybe 2 minutes, to destroy a DECT phone..

And of course the little cheap analog PABX here will take a 10 quid
phone, and acts as a door answering machine as well. And will distribute
two incoming lines all round the house.

Wireless routers and phones suit youngsters who have never put a plug on
a cable in their lives, in ditzy new flats where they don't want to even
THINK about laying a cable. They are to busy laying each other. I see no
reason to not profit from their profligacy, do you?