Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just a general enquiry really.
Noticed on posts for data/sky/tv cabling that people were still advocating
installation of network and phone cabling.
This is obviously at odds to the current hype wireless
networking/broadband etc.
I have already installed cat 5 and phone lines to most rooms, but am
beginning to think that technology has overtaken this.

Apart from the security issues with wireless broadband, can anyone support
the case for putting in a wired home network and phone system?

TIA

Phil

you've had some really traditional answers re cables but if you actually
think about what you are going to access the web/whatever with, you'll
come to the conclusion* that you have 1 main PC, one laptop and maybe
a pocket PC. the laptop will have wi-fi built in, so will the pocket PC so
to get the benefit from their portability you'd need at least an access point.

might as well use a wireless router and take time to RTFM which will
remove 99% of connection and security issues. I have three or four
PCs lying about the place and whereas they had to be in a room with
a cat5 outlet or one with a temporary cable running into it, now I just
add an £8 wireless NIC and I'm on. sometimes I have to right click and
repair the wireless connection, big deal, 1 min later I'm back online.

all this tosh about network speed is willy waving, really. who /really/
wants to push HDTV over wi-fi when there's a far simpler method of
watching movies ? whoo, yeah, I can send a 3gb file over my network
in x minutes ... most people would use a DVD and take much less time.

excuse me, I'm just about to take my wi-fi laptop into the cat5 free kitchen
to read a recipe for slow cooked shin beef in ale with thyme dumplings.

*no kids, most other computers in boxes.