Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al, Cambridge, UK Al, Cambridge, UK is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just a general enquiry really.
Noticed on posts for data/sky/tv cabling that people were still advocating
installation of network and phone cabling.
This is obviously at odds to the current hype wireless
networking/broadband etc.
I have already installed cat 5 and phone lines to most rooms, but am
beginning to think that technology has overtaken this.

Apart from the security issues with wireless broadband, can anyone support
the case for putting in a wired home network and phone system?

TIA

Phil

I've found it very flexible to have very simple CAT5 cabling between 3
rooms (double socket in each room, wired to each of the other two to
make a sort of triangle) as well as a wireless access point and then
expand as necessary with switches (which are cheaper than additional
cable & sockets) because:
- Initially used a couple of older PCs with cheap network cards
- Some visiting computers haven't been wireless
- We have a network printer and network filestore
Worked well for us and fairly discrete except in the office with most
of the kit.
Al