Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Contractor question - workman's compensation

On Jan 4, 7:35 pm, Dan_Musicant wrote:
On 4 Jan 2007 14:35:14 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

:
:
:On Jan 3, 3:35 pm, Dan_Musicant wrote:
: I've made arrangements to have my water main replaced by a licensed
: plumbing contractor in CA. I just met him last night and the work isn't
: going to start for a week, so I can back out of this if I call him today
: or tomorrow easily enough. I have another decent bid and I could go with
: them (a pretty large company).
:
: I just looked up his license and he's a sole owner and it says "This
: license is exempt from having workers compensation insurance; they
: certified that they have no employees at this time."
:
: He said he'd try to hire a tough competent guy to help with the
: trenching. What happens if that guy is hurt on the job? Am I going to be
: liable?
:
:You would be, yes.
:
:Have the plumber hire a sub and provide the necessary proofs of
:insurance. Or, hire a general laborer from a temp employment agency
some of them specialize in construction help). Then the temp agency
:has the necessary workmen's comp covered. Still get proof.
:
:R

I just talked to the plumber and he said he would do just that. Problem
is he didn't answer my call for almost 24 hours, so I'd called the other
bidder and made arrangements with him instead. It's $100 more, but I
know he's properly insured and he will also start the work tomorrow
instead of in 6 days. Either one would do the same job using the same
materials, as I make out from conversations with them.

Dan