Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default DVD Drives

On 4 Jan 2007 17:37:00 -0800, "Myauk" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Are the DVD Drives used in DVD Recorders, the same as those in
personnel computers?

I haven't seen inside many DVD-Rs, but I would expect that the HD
based recorders are most likely to use IDE DVD loaders. In fact I've
substituted the burner in a supermarket DVD-R similar to the following
with an LG IDE burner.

http://home.exetel.com.au/billscompu...s/000_9437.jpg

More pictures:
http://home.exetel.com.au/billscomputers/kross.htm

Here's what looks like an IDE drive, but with a flex cable instead of
the typical 40-pin ribbon:
http://home.exetel.com.au/billscompu...s_PS%20083.jpg

The PCB appears capable of supporting both types, if one were to add a
40-pin header.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this exploded diagram of a
Panasonic DMR-E85H appears to show an IDE flex cable (22) connected to
a standard IDE HD (21) via an adapter PCB (28):

http://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/fi...0%20%20%202522

I guess this means that Panasonic DVD loaders (aka "RAM drives") are
also IDE types ???

- Franc Zabkar