Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

LRod wrote:

It's probably a good idea to differentiate between "backstab" and
"backclamp" connections and receptacles. I think we're all in
agreement that the "backstab" (stick the wire in the hole and walk
away) method has proven to be horrid. While doing my remodel, I
believe I've successfully replaced every single one that was
originally installed in my house (and contractor grade, too--ugh).

Way back when I was involved with wiring devices, Leviton was the king
of residential devices or as is was known the strip & stuff line.

Hubbell was king of the high end devices.

You want high end devices, look for 5262 with is an industrial device,
5252 which is a commercial grade or if money is no object 8300 which
is hospital grade.

Probably won't find any of them at a DIY center.

Lew

Either are back/side wired