Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Craftsman Compucarver Machine

Robatoy wrote:
Elliott wrote:
Anyone have one? or used one. I am seeing it advertised on TV, but they
are not in Sear's stores locally. Priced at $1900 and
special order.
Appreciate any views or information on this machine.
Photos of carvings done look very ornate and are computer composed and
driven.
Thanks, Glenn

I am afraid that machinery like that is simply to 'create' a whole
whack of easily identifiable crap-art.
Coat-rack appliqués that will make me puke. It will, soon enough,
start to remind us of those plaques with a 1/4" of clear **** poured
all over them, right beside the torch-burned pictures of dogs playing
poker. Like plastic antler handles on tin letter openers.
What else will that thing do?
I would put the money towards a Multi Router and start producing
something worth-while.... or better yet, a jBot?

You could also look at it as a time saver. If you use a drill to hog
out a mortise before using your chisels, the CompuCarver could
similarly do the drudge prep work before hitting the piece with the
craftsmanly hand tool carving skills.