Posted to uk.d-i-y
Merryterry Merryterry is offline

Default Water repellent

JellyBelly wrote:

I'd go for Liquid Plastics K501 rather than the Sovereign stuff:

http://www.liquidplastics.co.uk/Product.asp?id=163

JellyBelly

I totally agree. I used to work for Liquid Plastics many years ago and
was forever going to view failed silicone treated walls. The problem
with silicones is that they sit on the surface and do not penetrate the
substrate. All exposed substrates degrade over time. The silicone
degrades with it. The LPL K 501 penetrates to about 2-3mm (including
mortar) according to the porosity of the substrate at the time of
application, (best used after a dry summer)..

We used to walk away from failed silicone treatments as they stayed
waterproof in some places and prevented K501 penetrating. The remaining
siliconed areas would eventually fail and Liquid Plastics would get the
blame. Moral dont use silicone!

I no longer work for LP but have the highest respect for their products.