Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

TheScullster wrote:

Apart from the security issues with wireless broadband, can anyone support
the case for putting in a wired home network and phone system?

For network acccess, wired still offers better speed, reliability, and
security. It is also easier to configure. As the amount of data we
stream about our homes increases (and our neighbours) this will become
more apparent.

Telecoms almost becomes a non issue since it can share the same wiring
as the network if it is done right. DECT is ok, but wired phones still
offer a reliability and simplicity that they don't.

Finally if you want to add your own PBX then wires are still the way to
go as well.

--
Cheers,

John.