Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews Peter Andrews is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

"John Laird" wrote in message
oups.com...
TheScullster wrote:

Just a general enquiry really.
Noticed on posts for data/sky/tv cabling that people were still
advocating
installation of network and phone cabling.
This is obviously at odds to the current hype wireless
networking/broadband etc.
I have already installed cat 5 and phone lines to most rooms, but am
beginning to think that technology has overtaken this.

Apart from the security issues with wireless broadband, can anyone
support
the case for putting in a wired home network and phone system?

Wired phone system, no. But there are no end of niggles with wireless
networking, it seems to me. Handy to have, but nowhere near as
reliable as TP, ime.

What you *should* have done is run fibre around the house, although the
various media convertors might have proved a touch expensive ;-)

--
"Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped."

Wired phone system, yes. When you are in bed and fire breaks out downstairs
and trips your power supply your bedside DECT phone is simply an ornament!
There is a place for DECT phones and I have several - but I also have a
number of wired extensions.

Also network cabling is faster and more reliable, but again I also have a
wireless access point.

Peter