Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Household recycling

In article . com,
wrote:
[ ... ]
I've got lots of copper wire, but I'm looking for an efficient way to
strip the insulation.

What type of wire? Telephone or other small gauge? Coax? Romex? Individual
conductors similar to THHN? Long pieces, short pieces?

If it's fairly long (10' or more) of individual conductors, you can stretch
them out, secure one end, and slice off a long strip of insulation with a
shop/utility knife. Start at the secured end facing towards it, hold the
wire with one hand so it's moderatly taunt, start the knife into the
insulation with the blade nearly flat, edge away from the secured end and
walk backwards with the blade riding on the copper. Once you slice off the
strip, the rest of the insulation will peel right off.

For Romex, slice a strip off the edge with the above technique, then do the
same with the insulated conductors from it.

If it's small gauge stuff, telephone or network cable, about the only way
that won't take forever is burning it off. No idea on how to deal with coax
without a lot of work.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
I'm developing a definition of "scientist" which excludes astronomers.