Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord.

In article .com,
wrote:
Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire (blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)
My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a four
pole lead ?
Thank You in advance.

For your purpose you will want to connect the welder black lead to the
socket black, welder white lead to socket red, and ground to ground.
There are a few ways you could accomplish this. If the welder uses a
regular appliance cord, perhaps one of the "better" ways would be to
replace the stock cord with one that uses a plug matching your
existing outlet. Save the original cord (I'm assuming it has a molded
on plug) in case you move somewhere that has the older style 3 prong
plug.

If you want more flexibility, you could make or possibly purchase
an adapter. Or, you could of course remove the existing plug and
replace it with one that matches the outlet.

--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin