Posted to alt.home.repair
CptDondo CptDondo is offline

Default 5500 watt elec hot water heater - 5000 watt generator

wrote:

That may not work (there is essentially no change in peak demand). I'd
like to hear from someone who knows more.

copier heaters wattage are cut by 50% by installing a diode.

What happens is the heater only heats on 1/2 the cycle cutting power by
1/2

Yabutt.... I don't know that much about generators, but I would guess
that such an off-balance load wouldn't make it happy....

Either wire them in series, or replace one with a 3KW element. Me, I'd
replace both with 3KW elements. That way it's passive, no switches, no
parts, no forgetting to change things over. OK, recovery is a bit
longer, but with a high-efficiency 80 gal tank, you probably wouldn't
notice unless you take long showers....