Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord.

Bewildered wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a small welder that has a three wire (blk/wht/grnd)
230 volt connection and I would like to plug it into my range outlet
which is four pole, 40 amp.(blk/wht/red/grnd)
My question is how can I connect a three pole receptical onto a four
pole lead ?
Thank You in advance.

Use the black, red, and green (or bare) wires, and tape up the white wire.
Do not accidentally switch the white and green wires when you put the
original stove receptacle back.

Interesting that everyone had the same suggestion. I would have put a 4
prong plug on the welder, with nothing connected to the neutral prong; just
seems easier. What is the problem with that?

Dunno, certainly one of the easiest ways to go. No code requirement
whatsoever that all the pins on the plug are actually used. Since the OP
indicates it's just for testing, were it my welder I'd just grab a
suitable spare breaker from my electrical bin and hardwire it to the
panel for the half hour of testing.

Pete C.