Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default 87 Pontiac revisited (bit long, but detailed)

Hi!

Yup the same one. Still fails on NOx.

I remember this.

Still fails on NOx !. So we put a new cat on it, and it STILL fails on
NOx !

Hmm, maybe a move to where emissions testing isn't commonplace is in order?

Now I do remember how they used to check for vacuum leaks, by spraying
starting fluid on the suspected areas. Is it still done this way ?

Yes, I believe it is. I also seem to remember hearing of carb cleaner being
used this way...but both are rather volatile substances. WD40 isn't quite as
volatile, but it is safer.

Given the conditions, I think it is a real possibility.

Worth a check...what can it hurt since you've done just about everything
else by now?

If someone is going to up and say "injectors", would injector cleaner
be a good idea ? Normally I avoid it like the plague.

It's worth a try. Get some injector cleaner and run it through the car. It
might make a huge difference. Here's a little story you might want to take
the time to read. I may have mentioned when you first posted about this car.
But if not, read on:

My dad bought a 1988 Buick LeSabre (3800 V6) for $100. It didn't look bad
and rode well, if it ran long enough to get up to speed. When we started it
had gas in the oil, many cylinders not firing and a service engine light
that wouldn't go out. The previous owner had driven it until it would run
reliably any longer. My dad drove it home, which was an adventure. We didn't
have any better way at the time. No trailer we had was long enough, so it
was followed with a "chase car" in case of problems. A mechanic said "junk
it and cut your losses".

Well...I don't think that way, and neither did anyone else involved. We
started fixing problems...fresh oil and filter, new plugs, plug wires, and a
spark module (as we still didn't have fire on at least one cylinder) were
all installed and they made quite a difference. But something still wasn't
quite right. The engine light was still on, and it didn't run like it
should. It was hard to start as well.

So one night, with only a little gas in the tank, we put in some
Lucas-branded fuel injector cleaner. (Come to think of it, we might have
actually put in more than one bottle, as this seemed serious and we were
desperate.) The mix was way too strong, and we all kind of wondered what
kind of abuse this might inflict on the fuel injection and pumping system.

Now, it was about 11 o'clock at night when we started this car in the
driveway with virtually no muffler left (the entire *top* of the muffler was
gone) and let it rip. It bucked and snorted something awful at first.
Finally, after about ten minutes, the cloud we were making subsided, and the
car evened out nicely. Thankfully, our neighbors are into playing with cars
as well.

The engine light turned off in the strangest way. After the muffler had been
replaced, the light was still on. It went out and never showed up again (nor
did any codes) after we put the final little elbow piece on the back of the
pipe leading off the muffler. Who knew the engine computer could be that
sensitive?

After all that, the car ran fine for several thousand miles until the fuel
pump failed. And that's where we've left it for now. Nobody (myself
included) has had time to do any more than drop the tank off the car, as all
the fuel line was so rusty that it fell apart.

So that's the story. (As for the bit about the Lucas fuel injector
cleaner...it seemed to work, and I've met Mr. Lucas himself. He's a
genuinely nice guy who believes in the stuff he sells. No, I have no
affiliation with the company or its products other than as a satisfied
customer.)

http://www.lucasoil.com/

We are getting to our wit's end here. We have even considered some
skullduggery, like running it on pure ethanol for the test, or even
test driving a car with the same engine and real quick switching the
enigines and returning it. We don't want to do either. When I was a kid
we would consider stealing a car and popping the engine in it, but no
more. I/we don't want to do anything like that. Getting caught is not
the problem, we could get away with it, but we do not WANT to. It is
immoral.

I get the feeling there may be a story here...care to share it? I agree that
isn't right, but it would be pretty funny. And if I'd done that, the new
engine would act the same way!

There is no good reason this thing cannot pass.

I tend to agree with that.

Anyway, don't you just love my posts ?

Sure, it was an interesting read. I well remember the original post, and
might have replied to it.

For example what alot of people don't know is before you buy a high
mileage car there is a test. Take the oil filler cap off and put a
piece of paper over it. It should stick at idle. There should be vacuum
there.

Thanks for the info. That's an interesting idea...I'd never thought of that.

Give me your address and I will at least send you some beer, if
you want it.

No need. Hopefully something I've said might make for a path to the
solution. If it does, so much the better. I'm no automotive expert by any
means, but I'm not afraid of them either...having changed starters,
flexplates/flywheels, fuel tanks, oil and other stuff.

William