Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Fix or replace old oil/air furnace?

HeyBub wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I only burn 420-500 gallons of oil a year. At current prices that's
about $11-1300/yr. A high efficiency burner might save me 15% of
that- so say $200 a year. That's a 15+yr payback for a new
furnace-- so buying a new furnace now to save money isn't feasible.

Straight out, it's a seven year payback, not fifteen.

I think you underestimate how cheaply he can replace it.

But there's the
opportunity cost (the interest earned on simply putting the money in the
bank).

Which is included in a proper payback calculation.

Or possible other options such as using the $200/year in improved
insulation, windows, or whatever.