Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Electrical Question - Light Flicker

tsltrek wrote:
I installed 4 recessed lights in an unfinished (now finished) room of my
house...the leg was installed to that room by the electricians during
original construction. I just replaced the single light with 4 new recessed
lights. Now when I turn on those 4 lights the other lights on the circuit
give a quick one-time flicker. This is a room off the master bedroom and is
on the master bedroom's arc-fault circuit breaker.

Best way to track this down? Loose wire in one of the new lights? Weak
breaker?

Size of breaker/wiring on this circuit?

Sounds like probably was/is a 15A/14ga lighting circuit and you've now
added too much wattage w/ the new fixtures and are seeing the temporary
voltage drop when the added load comes on.

How much _total_ wattage is now on this circuit when you observe this?
And, how much did you add?

As a quick/easy test, take all the bulbs but one out of the new
fixtures and make it a small one -- say 60W. Now, does the flicker go
away? If so, put the original back in and do the same test
sequentially. I'll hazard a guess after one or two, you'll see the
symptoms reappear.