Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default OT Electrical Conundrum

DonkeyHody wrote:

Back out to the breaker box with my handy-dandy digital electric
tester. The wire lug on the suspect GFCI breaker reads 121.6 volts to
the neutral/ground buss.

But still no lights.

I snapped the breaker out of the panel and looked for corrosion or
evidence of arcing. Found none. Snapped it back in, but forgot to
check the results before moving on to the next step. Left the breaker
off.

Breaker switched off...

One of the receptacles has gotten old and tired from
plugging/unplugging and doesn't grab the prongs good anymore. It seems
to be closer to the panel box than anything else, so I pull that
receptacle out of the box to check the feed wire for voltage. Flipped
the breaker on

.... breaker switched on.

and . . . voila! Voltage . . .and lights . . . and hair
dryer! Everything works!

The circuit breaker was most likely tripped. On a variety of different
brands of breakers its very difficult to tell if they're tripped by
visual inspection.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA