Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Finger Joint Pitch

Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

My oldest daughter set a date for her wedding (Fall 2007) and she would
like an heirloom piece. I will be focusing on wood-dorking this year.
I was thinking a stack of barrister book-cases, so nice looking joints
are on my radar.

IMO, for box joints to look "nice" on fine furniture, the wider the better
... AAMOF, they will appear more like dovetail joints from all sides if you
use as few as possible, say 3 "pins" on each board at the corner of a
12 -15" wide join.

That said, this is purely a matter of taste ... I'm not a big fan of the box
joint, except on tool/shop boxes.

Through dovetails preferrably (lock rabbet usually, because it's fast
and adequate for the piece), except in narrow stock. It's easier to
cram more fingers than tails and pins into 1 x 2 stock.