Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Can improper wiring actually cause a fire?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:42:00 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

Properly installed aluminum wiring is not hazardous.

[...]
Check connection tightness perodically.

[...]
That's kind of hard to do when the connections are inside of the
wall, right?

That, in and of itself, is sufficient to exclude the installation from the
category of "properly installed" wiring, whether aluminum or copper. The NEC
requires all junctions to be readily accessible.

Aha, so is removing the cover plate and then removing the
switch or outlet from the box is readily accessible, tearing
out the wall is where the line is drawn.

I sure wish those boxes were bigger, or at least DEEPER.
I recently replaced a ground -fault breaker in a bathroom
and it was a PIA.

I'm willing to bet that the number of homes that get that
inspection ever, let alone periodically, is about nil.

In an earlier article (not sure if its part of this thread or an
earlier discussion, someone suggested that for copper
wire it was better to terminate it on the screw, rather
than using the clamp. I assume he was referring to
switches and outlets. I find that to be well-nigh
impossible with #12. Is it acceptable to use crimped
lugs, with two lugs on the same screw? Or is there
really no problem with what Leviton calls 'back' connections?

I emailed Houston Wire to tell them about the error
in their webpages. Thanks for checking.

--

FF