Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,pdaxs.services.plumbing
# Fred # # Fred # is offline

Default Tankless Hot Water Heaters

wrote in message
ups.com...
your far better off to go with 2 standard larger tanks.

are you trying to get endlkess hot water? or more concerned with saving
a little money on energy?

2 tankless will require large gas service and remember a power failure
probably means no hot water

standard tanks even forced thru wall vents have enough hot water stored
for a couple showers

If I understand correctly, one correctly sized tankless could supply enough
hot water for all the appliances plus showers and baths at the same time. As
for the electric outages, a UPS - uninterruptible power supply, just for the
controls - should take care of that.

My concern is the reliability, and I hear some of the tankless heaters are
not good. I've been using hot water dispensers for years and those tanks
goes out about 5 years (something always goes out in about 5 years) and I
just couldn't justify replacing a tankless every 5 or even 10 years. Hot
water heater: $500, Tankless: $3,000. Tankless has to save a lot of energy
to justify the extra cost. Anyone know what the payback is for tankless?