Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Preformed walls instead of stud/sheetrock construction?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"jtpr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Somebody at work told me about a new type of wall construction
(residential). It is made of pressed board on each side filled with
foam and is fully structural, no studs. I may have the details
confused but that was the basic idea. Has anybody heard of something
like this and could share some info?

It has been around at least 20 years that I'm aware of. People are often
reluctant to use "new" methods because they are different that what has been
used for centuries. They are superior though.

SIPS, Structural Insulated Panels is the term to look for. An example is
http://www.thermalfoams.com/construction/sip.htm

If you want strong construction and good insulation, also consider ICFs.
Insulating Concrete Forms www.polysteel.com or www.integraspec.com They
also make for a very quiet house.

Edwin,

I took a look at those sites. The first one had a nice video
explaining how it works, very interesting. I'm going to give them a
call for more info. I just wonder how they do plumbing and electrical,
especially after construction is done.

-Jim