Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Gavels

"mike" wrote in message
ps.com...
John,

Thanks for the information. My thoughts are certainly concentrated now.
I will try for some brass tube and get it engraved, and I have some
nicely figured oak left over from a previous project which may work
well. I take your point about the boxes and will probably just buy
suitable ones. Although these are strictly for show and will never be
used in anger, I want them to look and feel correct.

The knocker, for lack of a better word, is usually mounted on a block which
is hollowed from the rear for sound projection. I have a trophy place make a
plaque to mount there rather than form it around the head of the gavel.
Keeps everything quick and easy.

Box-jointed glued top boxes are six in a day projects if you've a good
router table.