Posted to rec.woodworking
The Dougster The Dougster is offline

Default Finger Joint Pitch

I have redesigned the legs and joint. The legs (made of 1/8 x 1-1/2
inch aluminum angle) now cover the joint so appearance doesn't matter.
I am considering knockdown construction with a 1/4 inch dowel through
the fingers which are at the moment 5/8 x 5/8 and 1/3 inch thick and 3
each #8 t-nuts on each face. (5 fingers total) The legs will taper to
5/8 tips and may have "lightening" holes the way they do in aircraft
construction, strictly for appearance.

I am using emachineshop software to visualize the joint and legs. I can
post a PDF of the 3D views if anyone would like to see that. That much
was a lot of fun.

Maybe I should miter the joint tops for appearance, but I will probably
get a better fit with square joints since the milling machine (made
from a drill press) doesn't cut miters. I am working on building one
that does.

The holidays were rough and the weather here is fine today so I am
going to get some exercise now on my bicycle.

This will a Seasonal Affective Disorder coffee table 2x4 feet with 128
watts of T8 tube in it. That's 10,000 lux! It works for me and my
sweetie in the mornings. The fixture will just drop into the frame and
needs a plate glass top. It's a nice "light table" for assembling
patterns and such as well. The fixture sits on boxes now.

Doug