Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Finger Joint Pitch

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Again, I don't think so, while they are thinner and therefore weaker you
have more of them. If the box joint finger is made 1/4 the size you have
4 times as many. Again, the mass is still there. IMHO ;~) Thinner ones
would spread the load more and perhaps be stronger.

Yabbut... you can't expect more than the strength of the wood itself.
Soooo... the more you leave untouched, the stronger it is? I mean, if
you look at the strength of an single finger (from a row of fingers).
the smaller the finger, the weaker, right?

Visually, I agree with Mark, square looks nicest. I have always liked
the look of that. I find the whole dove-tail overrated, other than the
obvious advantage in a drawer front.

My oldest daughter set a date for her wedding (Fall 2007) and she would
like an heirloom piece. I will be focusing on wood-dorking this year.
I was thinking a stack of barrister book-cases, so nice looking joints
are on my radar.